Sunday, February 11, 2007

Vignette: Seeing the Light

Yesterday, as Daigoro was playing with a set of Mega-Blocks (over-sized Lego for toddlers) he stopped and looked very puzzled. He was pushing it around on top of a glass coffee table we have in the front room. A moment or two went by and he continued staring off, apparently into space. I followed his gaze and noticed a multicoloured pattern on the far wall.

Mid-morning sunlight was streaming in through the south facing windows of our living room and shining off the blocks, then reflecting on the table and thence onto the wall. Daigoro was fascinated. He turned the blocks and watched as the pattern shifted and danced over the wall, then the bookcase. He turned it again, following it with his eyes around the room.

The look of concentration but also of wonder was in his eyes. It's one of the expressions I hold most dear in my heart when I look at him. I'm certain that I had a similar look as I gazed at him.

No comments: