Thursday, March 08, 2007

Circle Game

I've recently invested some time in transferring parts of my moderate-sized CD collection into MP3 format for use on my iPod 30GB. Yes, I'm officially about five or six years behind the curve in terms of this technology, but I've never been a big "music guy". I enjoy music, but it doesn't seem to define my life in the same sense that it does for many people.

In any case, I was bopping along on shuffle mode when Joni Mitchell's song "Circle Game" came up. My pace slowed a bit as I paused to listen to the lyrics. Here they are reproduced in part:
Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when youre older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams

And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
Were captive on the carousel of time
We cant return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game
I almost stopped in my tracks. I was really getting choked up listening to the lyrics. I don't know if most parents do - I suspect so. Same thing probably happens to men who listen to "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin. It's horrendously cliché, I know, but it's hard not to be affected by the enormity of the passage of time and the cyclical nature of parenthood/fatherhood.

So I'm trudging along thinking about how I could possibly be getting more out of the experience of fatherhood, "savouring" more, as it were, as well as putting more into it for Daigoro's sake. As it goes, I think I'm doing pretty well - but we'll see.

Not really anything to do with Daigoro, to be honest, but certainly made me take a moment mentally and think about exactly what this whole business of being a father means. It reminds me of what I debt I owe to both my parents for giving me a loving and nurturing childhood. Not entirely without strife or darkness, of course (that would be pretty damaging in itself) but by and large, a excellent foundation for my own turn as a parent. When Daigoro smiles and hugs us, it feels like warm sunshine embodied in a little squirmy package. There are definitely perks to being a father.

I'm nostalgic by nature - I tend to really become attached to places and memories, probably more so than is good for me. The song makes me think ahead to moments when Daigoro won't look at me with the same shining love in his eyes, to times where he'll hate me or fear me in turn. The passage of time for a parent is both stunningly quick (when considering it in retrospect) and occasionally agonizingly slow (when trying to endure another fifteen minutes of a cranky toddler).

Daigoro is starting to use more words to express more of his opinion.

"Stop it! Stop it! STOP IT!!!" (general emphatic disagreement with what we're asking him to do)

"No, thank you." (in response to bathtime or the need to get ready for church)

I'm starting to ramble a little now... perhaps I'll edit this entry later. I just wanted to capture my feeling on hearing this song and thinking about Daigoro and the upcoming addition to our family.

No comments: